Vertical Touchweight

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:03:40 -0500

I have a client with a 1963 Baldwin Hamilton 45" studio. She complains of
heavy touch. DW is in the 60 to 70 gram range. There appears to be very
little written on vertical piano touchweight. Is there anything in the 1979
or newer Journals? I have the CDs, but I can't do a search.

Not having done much touchweight on a vertical, I was hoping for some input
from ya'll.

I figure first do DW & UW and look at friction (I think on this piano, this
will not be the problem): key bushing, flanges, capstan/wippen.

Assuming friction is not the problem, what would be next on a vertical? Key
leading? Hammer butt spring tension? How does one evaluate an optimal hammer
butt tension? Damper spring tension?

Seems to me, make sure friction is where it should be. Then make sure spring
tensions are appropriate. Then after that start looking a key leading.

This piano is all original and in very, very good condition. Original owner.
Tuned every year. Is it safe to assume that the hammer weight and action
geometry are good enough to produce a 50 to 55 gram touchweight? I know
manufacturers are capable of some real Lu-Lu's, but on a piano design of
which there were 9,654,826,234 built?

Terry Farrell