easing damper guide bushings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:03:10 EST

In a message dated 11/1/01 5:35:58 PM Central Standard Time,
draine@mediaone.net writes:

> What is the optimal approach to easing/resizing tight damper guide
> bushings?
> I've got a call-back on a rebuilt Steinway tomorrow. It was rebuilt 10
> years ago, and the tuning I did last month was its *first* since then. A
> few drops of Protek got the stuck damper wires moving during the pitch
> raise/tuning, but they have since seized up again.
> While I'm familiar with *various* methods, I'd like to hear what works
> best, in the least amount of time ( i.e. sticking bridge pins in while
> soaking the felt with alcohol isn't *fast*).
>
> Patrick

Patrick

The last thing I would want to put on a guide rail bushing is any kind of
lubricant, even Protec. Short from wiggling the damper wire back and forth,
the next best thing is to remove the damper and run a rod just slightly
thicker than the damper wire through the hole. A tool that works is the grand
capstan tool, the one with the bend at the end of it.

My dad told me he used an umbrella stay. He said you can push it through the
hole with the damper wire still in place. I tried it once and pushed the
bushing out.

Wim