easing damper guide bushings

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:22:56 -0500

At 07:03 PM 11/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/1/01 5:35:58 PM Central Standard Time,
>draine@mediaone.net writes:
>

>>What is the optimal approach to easing/resizing tight damper guide
>>bushings?
>>I've got a call-back on a rebuilt Steinway tomorrow. It was rebuilt 10
>>years ago, and the tuning I did last month was its *first* since then. A
>>few drops of Protek got the stuck damper wires moving during the pitch
>>raise/tuning, but they have since seized up again.
>>While I'm familiar with *various* methods, I'd like to hear what works
>>best, in the least amount of time ( i.e. sticking bridge pins in while
>>soaking the felt with alcohol isn't *fast*).
>>
>>Patrick

Fashion an umbrella stave to make an easing tool.

Force fit one end into a hole drilled into a short length of dowel.
File the other end into a point and crimp the leading edge slightly,
this will avoid pushing the bushing out while inserting. the stave will
insert around the wire, ease in a sidewards direction first; back and front
sides of the damper wire so as not to stress the thin rail (don't want to
break it ! ).
Ease front-to-back if needed.   This usually works unless the new bushing cloth
was cut too wide is is overlapping, then you are looking at a non-quick fix.

I have this tool without the handle to take up less space on my tool pallet.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net