more on this temperament tangent

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 07:59:06 EST

In a message dated 11/2/01 6:31:14 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
 writes:

> Tom Sivak writes:=20
> <<The thought that composers compose in temperaments is ludicrous. >>
>=20
> (snip)  To this end,  I would like to=20
> hear Tom's evidence that temperament didn't influence composition. =20
> Regards,=20
>=20

I would too.  Thanks again, Ed, for answering before I had the chance and I=20
must say, much better than I could have.  The final movement of the 9th=20
symphony is harmonically adventurous for its time and I have always thought=20
that perhaps the reason was because Beethoven's mind had been freed of=20
conventional constraints due to his deafness.  But it sure wasn't an example=
=20
of Atonal Adventures.  Why not write all kinds of bizarre, angular phrases=20
with sharps and flats all over the place and end the piece with a grandiose=20
chord in Db instead of D if there was no influence of temperament?

In the perspective of music throughout the centuries, it is distinctly tonal=
.=20
 The famous melody is heard all over the world, sung and played by children=20
learning music.  The foundation of the piece is very elementary and would=20
have NEVER, EVER been written in a remote key BECAUSE of the influence of=20
cycle of 5ths temperament construction.  To think that temperament had no=20
influence is frankly, illogical.

Let's also consider the Emperor Piano Concerto.  Wasn't he also deaf when he=
=20
wrote that?  Now, why in the world would he have chosen the seemingly=20
illogical key of B for the middle movement when the 1st and 3rd movements ar=
e=20
in Eb?  Bb would have been the Dominant key.  He even had to use a trick to=20
modulate back to Eb ant the end of the second movement.  Why go to this kind=
=20
of trouble unless there is a reason?

The answer is that in a typical (for the period) WT, mild Meantone or=20
Modified Meantone, the key of B with its wide intervals provides for a much=20
more melodic and singing tone than would the key of Bb.  Witness the broken=20
chords =E0 la Moonlight Sonata that avoid harsh harmony by being broken agai=
nst=20
the soaring single note melody played by the piano.  The whole thing would=20
have "fell apart" (as Ed recently put it), it would have had a dead,=20
uninteresting sound in Bb.  When played in ET, the key of B sounds virtually=
=20
identical to Bb, just a half step higher and not enough more intense to be a=
=20
reason to modulate.  ET takes away some of the singing tone that the melody=20
is supposed to have.

The very fact that someone would think that HT's did not influence orchestra=
l=20
or keyboard writing is evidence of how ET has poisoned and spoiled=20
contemporary thinking about how music really ought to sound and what the=20
reason for choosing any particular key is.  That, I personally find ludicrou=
s.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin