Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:53:08 -0600

>Tuned front
>duplexes produce string noise, regardless of the hardness and radius
>of the bearing bars (and I have proven it to be so with tests in
>August 2000 - OK Ron N, I won't argue with you about short tuned
>duplexes here because I haven't tested this just yet. But I found
>myself un-inclined to do so at this time, since the detuned duplex is
>proving to be very satisfactory, and the Samick plate I am using
>won't allow me to go any shorter in duplex length.

How it's arrived at isn't really important to me, but I sure would love to
see the industry relieve us of the benefit of tuned front duplexes and
abandon the things in favor of something that isn't unnecessarily noisy.
I'm not against de-tuned front duplexes at all. I like the short length,
continuous counter bearing simply because it is quick and easy for me to
make, and is as quiet as anything else I've heard - which is why I haven't
experimented with de-tuned. Reports of experimental empirical data would
seem to indicate that either approach is an improvement over the original
concept, and that's the goal. That is, if the intent is to decrease
unwanted front duplex noise.

Ron N