Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:48:53 +1100

Hi Ed,

><< I am now completely against the concept of tuning the front
>duplexes. While it is possible to hear and tune the rear lengths, the
>front lengths are just noise. >>
>
>Greetings,
>      It is also worth mentioning that different styles of "setting the pin"
>will cause signifcant differences in the string tension of the front duplex.
>When the tension in the topstring is so variable, how can one expect it to be
>tunable?
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Exactly Ed, I also have been mindful of this effect. But my post had
already turned into half a book (these Friday nights after work are
very dangerous for wear and tear on the keyboard). Furthermore, when
the bars are a smoothed, radiused and hardened, the strings render
much better, but the problem will always exist - so tuned front
duplexes are out. There is no doubt that the friction effect must
result in an out-of-tune front duplex, even if the length is perfect.
Herein lies the problem, when the frequency of the duplex is almost
in tune with the matching harmonic of the speaking length, there will
be considerable sympathetic transfer across the capo from the
speaking length to the front duplex. When there is slight
out-of-tuneness between the duplex and the speaking length, a 'chorus
effect' is bound to result, complete with the attendant string noise.

On the other hand the back duplex can be tuned very accurately by
lightly rubbing the speaking length to raise the duplex pitch (using
a hammer shank in our case), or rubbing the duplex length to lower
it. Provided the duplex length is set at the correct length to enable
the rear duplex tension to be just slightly higher or equal in
tension to the speaking length tension when both are in tune, the
piano will be sure to hold tune under the influence of a 'thrasher'.
If the block is not set to the correct position, the tension will be
set significantly higher or lower when the rear duplex is tuned. Such
a situation will result in the string tension variation between
duplex and speaking length to gradually become equal via string creep
over the bridge, between tunings. In fact, this is the way we know if
the block is correctly positioned. If the tuning stability stays
without string creep, then we know that the correct block position
has been achieved. If the speaking length drops in pitch the duplex
length needs to be increased, and vice versa. With a freshly strung
piano, it takes about six months of fine adjustment to get the blocks
accurately positioned for good tuning stability.

Ron O

--
Overs Pianos
Sydney Australia