insulting Ed

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:39:44 EST

greetings,
when Tom writes:
>>Your inflated sense of self-importance, to even imagine that >tuning
conventions had an impact on a piece like Beethoven's Ninth, is >arrogant.

Richard writes:
>Er... is it realy necessary to put things on this level ?? Perhaps its
>time to drop the subject.

No way Jose,
   So,  Tom labels me with "inflated self-important,  arrogant, ludicrous",
etc.  Gee, this is lightweight stuff, I have been called much worse, even by
smart people.
   The desparate attempts to hold temperament awareness back are becoming
comical, yes, and some poorly informed and defensive correspondents are
burning bridges, but we really haven't gotten to the big stuff yet.
   It was just this last week that a faculty member of Julliard looked at me
and said, "But Bach used equal temperament for everything, didn't he?"  Only
the naively ignorant could believe that.
    We have a "target rich environment" here and it is no time to stop the
bombing.
More to come, soon.
Ed Foote