89 note scale

Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:12:11 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 02, 2001 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: 89 note scale

> At 12:53 11/02/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >Ditto here Bob. I lifted the damper with my finger and plucked it and
tuned
> >it to G#0. I don't see how it could possibly matter though. There is no
key
> >to lift the damper and therefore no way for the note to sound!
> >
> >I'm really curious as to how the manufacturer didn't miss this!
> >
> >Phil Romano
> >Myrtle Beach, SC
>

> Methinks they didn't miss it.  Those extra strings load the bridge more
> evenly for the sounding strings and contribute to a better sound in a
> similar manner to bridge extensions to the next rib or a wraparound bridge
> like S&S  B&D.  (Impedence. Right, Del?)
>
> You'll find extra strings on verticals, too.
>
> Conrad Hoffsommer -

You're right, Conrad, they didn't miss it and it wasn't a mistake. Various
manufacturers have, over the years, observed that the last note(s) on any
given bridge are often problematical. Their 'solution' was to make the last
sounding note the second to the last note. There is some validity to the
notion, but it's much easier to simply extend the bridge a bit and work with
the soundboard design and the ribbing. In essence this is an impedance
matching device.

Del