winds/brass temperaments?-was temperament tangent

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:56:40 EST

Greetings,
Ron  >>(taking a break from an alto sax---argh!)

(ah, the alto sax,  known around here as the banjo of the reed family....)

writes:
<<Well, as a reed performer first(bassoon), and a current instrument tech,
wind instruments are LOOSELY based in ET, with the embouchure providing that
linkage to the ears (through the wet-ware)for the last 10 cents or so of
adjustment. <<

Wow!  Howard Rosen tells me that instruments are tuned in ET, but if there is
a 10 cent "looseness",  then by our piano tech standards, they could be off
as far as a Werckmeister temperament!!  10 cents is far more than I thought
they would be off, but it supports my idea that they are not in ET,( a
keyboard with a 10 cent looseness wouldn't impress any of us with its
equality, now, would it??).
 And besides,  I am not trying to force orchestral instruments into a
temperament designated discussion. My focus is on the keyboards and I have
tried to use the other instruments simply as analogous references. , (tho I
may have done so, poorly)
   I will be off-list for the next 20 hours or so;  my life will be centered
around Martin guitars, dobros and hurdy-gurdys, a motorhome, a wife, some
friends out in the country, fall foliage, Natchez trace parkway rides, good
stuff to drink, and all those other things that I sit around thinking about
as I pound into tune the last octave (that "nobody" plays) of pianos.
    I would also like to thank all those in this temperament discussion for
the civil(mostly) tone of discourse.  Temperaments are *supposed* to be
emotionally affecting, and I think we have all joined in the proof of
that,here.  There is still more to be learned, not only about how to use
them, but how we react to them.
    Let's not lose sight of the future, let's not forget that growth requires
change, and let's all remember that life is short, it will soon be over, and
we want to see,taste, hear, smell, and feel all of it that we can.
Regards to all,
Ed