more on this temperament tangent

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 23:43:24 EST

In a message dated 11/2/01 8:48:20 AM, Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:

<< Did composers simply say
to themselves, "Gee, I think I'll write a symphony in D just because I like D
even though D sounds the same as all the other keys."? >>

No, because it doesn't sound the same as other keys.  Each single note sounds
unique.  Even if there is no context, no chord, no temperament.  Just the
single note.  And each one sounds different from the others.  Ask anyone with
perfect pitch, they'll tell you the same thing.  Now, did Beethoven have
perfect pitch?  I don't know.  But I do believe that he chose the keys for
his works for reasons other than temperament.  I think his choices were
purely "temperamental".

<<I find your statement at least as arrogant as you've accused Ed of being.>>

You're right...I didn't mean to escalate the discussion beyond an appropriate
level of civility.  (I should "temper" my comments so that no one loses their
"temper"!) I want to thank you all for a fascinating discussion which has
made me think.  For instance, I wonder what was the intonation like in
Beethoven's orchestra?  Today, professional symphony players play VERY in
tune almost ALL the time.  I wonder if Beethoven's orchestra sounded more
like one of our high school orchestras today? (intonation wise)  Did he
choose the tonality of D for the NINTH SYMPHONY because it was one of the
best keys for string instruments?  Not only can they can fly through the
scalar passages, but their intonation will be much better in that key than,
say, Eb major.  Not because of any temperament, but because the open strings
provide a foundation of pitch.  Was he trying to insure that the piece would
be played more in tune?

As you can probably tell, I'm not sure anyone made me change my opinions in
this chicken-or-the-egg topic, but the bottom line is...

<<Unless you can prove that Temperament has *no* influence upon composition,>>

No one can prove that, nor can anyone prove the opposite.  I don't think I
can say that temperament had *no* influence on composition.  That's such a
blanket statement. All I really wanted to take objection to was the comment
that Beethoven wrote his Ninth Symphony in D because of the temperament of
his era.  It's more likely he said, "Acch, I think I'll write a symphony in
the key of D because D sounds unique und that's the key I'm hearing it in
mein kopf---it's a good key for strings, flute, oboe, UND...I can have the
tympani play motivic material---ACCHtaves F to F!!!"  But then, who knows?

I enjoyed the comments of everyone, on both sides of this issue.  Didn't mean
to ruffle any feathers, really...

Tom Sivak