"perfect pitch"

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 15:57:16 EST

In a message dated 11/4/01 11:43:36 AM, drpt@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<< can you aurally tune to A440 without the use of
an outside pitch source?

No, I didn't mean to imply the only thing holding me back from stopping the
strobe was my inability to sing.  I can't tune without a fork or ETD for a
pitch reference.  Just for experimentation sake, I just went to my RCT and
sang an A without any pitch reference.  I came up 22 cents sharp!  Far from
perfect, and certainly not close enough to tune without a pitchfork or ETD
for reference.  But like Dave Nereson, I can always tell what key a piece of
music is in, or identify any individual note played on an instrument.

I only brought it up in reference to the comment that all keys sound alike
except in HTs.  Well, they don't.  Each one sounds different from the others
to anyone with perfect pitch.  Therefore if Beethoven had perfect pitch (and
I think he did), the key of D would sound unique to him and that would be
motivation enough for him to write the Ninth Symphony in the key of D, not
because he was influenced by the HT of his day.  That's why I brought it up.

Tom Sivak