Duplex

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 16:25:42 -0800

Dammit, Ron!  In the words of Ronald Reagen "There you go again"  You're
using logic on a logic free subject.

When I read Ron O's description of his tuned duplex I thought "OMG, did I
make a mistake by eliminating the aliquots in this piano?  He did a great
job in justifying the tuned duplex, but when I read that it could take 6 mo.
to position the aliquots I
thought.  "What if I don't live that long?"  Don't get me wrong, I have
great respect and admiration of Ron, but I was looking at it from the human
aspect.  A great piano coming off the production line,  tuned superbly and
duplex tuned to perfection.  Now Joe Schmuck (pieanna tooner) toons for a
concert (he only has 40 minutes to curtain time).  He brings the note above
pitch and lowers it to tune.  He may or may not even know what a duplex
scale is let alone know how to tune it.  Next tuning is done by Jose Schlock
who lifts the pitch to sound good.  He knows how to tune a duplex, but he's
paid poorly and doesn't have the time to do it.  Or the inspiration, for
that matter.

The result, a great piano that is out of tune for a good portion of its life
and a duplex scale that is never in tune.

Progress????  You be the judge.

I'd better quit before I offend somebody.  That's not my intention.

Regards to all

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com