"perfect pitch"

Carl Teplitski koko99@mb.sympatico.ca
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 01:04:43 -0600

Perfect pitch is the ability to recognize frequencies, the same way most
people recognize colors. When I see a color, ( green ) for instance, I know
it's green from previous experience, but I can't tell the difference in shade
of this green apart from large differences. Dark green to light green.
What about the people who are color blind? Are they like us, who can't
recognize frequency?  Are we pitch blind?

If one were to tune in a radio station by turning a knob which changes a
variable  capacitor,
raising or lowering  the value of that capacitor, tuning in the frequency for
best result.
We realize that the station had a band width to it, the same as shades of color.

Sooooooooooo!! Those with PP, in fact have the abilty to recognize differences
in
bands of pitch. The note"A" has a band which starts somewhere after G#, and
before A#.
How many cents flat must an "A" be before it is no longer an "A", I don't
know.???

Interesting subject, for people who work with sound all the time.
Carl