Duplex

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:43:04 +1100

Carl and Ron,

I won't go to the trouble of quoting your posts just to simplify
replying to both of you.

As usual, nothing is black and white, and you both raised sensible
doubts about tuned rear duplexes, of which I also am aware. I admit
that it is a lot of trouble to go to, for what may appear to some to
be questionable performance gains. I also realise that it is likely
that pianos with tuned rear duplexes may be tuned by technicians with
little or no understanding of how to deal with them. Nevertheless, I
have taken the view that I have no intention of building pianos to
accommodate inadequate work skills (and neither does Fazioli with
regard to rear duplexes - he expects all dealers to come to the
factory once per year to be educated on the finer points of Fazioli
pianos - including tuning the rear duplexes). In any event, should
such a piano be tuned inexpertly, it won't sound any worse than a
piano with a non-tuned rear duplex which is poorly tuned. So the loss
won't be huge. Eventually, when we have a dealer network for our
pianos, I will expect them or their nominated technician to be able
to tune accurately and to be fully capable of tuning the rear duplex
system.

I also appreciate that for many pianos and for that matter many
budgets, building-in tuned duplexes may well be a case of over
engineering. Nevertheless Ron N, I have to tell you that when we
compare two pianos, one with and one without tuned rear duplexes, the
difference is immediately obvious. I really appreciate the lack of
low-chorus effect on the tuned back scale piano. Of course it would
also be a simple matter to list out the back scale to prevent the
chorus effect - we do this for many of our recording studio pianos.
This will slightly shorten sustain, but if the belly is well made and
designed it will hardly be an issue - as you Ron N have also
mentioned. But at least listing it out gets rid of the 'ringing
rubbish'.

Regardless of all the pros and cons, we will continue to build tuned
duplexes into our pianos, because I like the result. If folks feel
strongly about not having it, there are plenty of alternative makers
from which to choose. At least we will be providing an alternative,
and hasn't the lack of choice been a favorite topic of many on this
list.

Ron N and Del

Yesterday I noticed that you were both pretty sceptical about me
supporting the claim Dan Franklin made about energy getting over the
bridge to the rear duplex from the speaking length. I assure you both
that I have found this does occur with conventionally bridged pianos
which have tuned rear duplexes.

I realise that most of the excitation of the rear duplex will be in
the form of vertical excitation in response to the movement of the
bridge relative to the hitch plate, BUT, I have found that there is a
small amount of longitudinal excitation which gets past the bridge
pins from the speaking length to the rear duplex. If a bridge agraffe
is used, as in for example the Australian Stuart piano, there will be
virtually zero longitudinal excitation of the duplex.

You see, for longitudinal excitation of the rear duplex to occur,
there must be some compliance on the part of the bridge pins, in
response to the string side draft forces. But this does happen. I
discovered this phenomena quite by accident with the pianos we have
been assembling with tuned rear duplex (Since 1995). As I mentioned
in an earlier post, it takes a while to get these tuned back-scale
pianos properly tuned front and rear. But during the process I
discovered that a small change in duplex tension occurs when the
speaking length tension is raised or lowered. Now before you both
reply, 'of course but the bridge is rocking over with the tension
change', yes it is. But something extra is happening, the bridge pins
are also yielding a little in response to the tension changes, and
this will allow just a small amount of longitudinal energy from the
speaking length to leak over onto the reap duplex segment.

Phew! I hope that made sense. This to me has been an interesting
discovery. I am suspicious that this strange phenomenon just might
increase the energy transmission across to the duplex when the duplex
and speaking length share the same wire. Now I hope you guys don't
think I'm due to be committed to some minding-institution on the
strength of this stuff. I know it seems crazy, but after working with
tuned duplexes for years I am sure that it is happening.

I don't know why some high end pianos with rear duplexes (which are
pretty close to in-tune) are arranged such that the note below has
its duplex length set to match the harmonic of the next note up, but
is a fact of life - just pluck a few duplexes on some of the higher
quality Japanese pianos and you will see what I am referring to. They
may by suspicious of longitudinal excitation also being a factor
which contributes to the duplexes being more dominant - I am not
sure. Fazioli tunes his rear duplexes such that the tuned length
shares the same wire, as we do also.

Anyhow Del, Ron N and others (Carl, and Dan if you're still with me),
there it is for what its worth. I am quite sure that this phenomena
is real, but it is pretty obscure to be sure.

Before I finish on this topic, I would like to add that we have
plenty of debate in our workshop about the benefits of building in a
tuned rear duplex -  we are far from unanimous here also.

It's been interesting reading all of your posts (sparks flew out of
me on only a couple of  occasions).

Best to all.

Ron O.
--