Oops?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:19:06 EST

In a message dated 11/5/01 7:57:51 AM Central Standard Time,
HazenBannister@cs.com writes:

> Here is my opinion on the 100+ cent pitch raise.  You're only fooling
> yourself if you think you can do it with any fewer than 4 passes and even
> after all that, it won't quite be what you'd call "stunning".
>

> With the Sanderson Accu tweaker(as Jim Harvey calls it),and a good ear,I
> can pitch raise a piano 100 cents low,in two passes and get it dead on
> A440.Nothing special about me, just a great machine and proven

I use the SAT too, have for 10 years and had good aural pitch raise
techniques before that.  Even with calculated overpull, sometimes 20-30 cents
or more in the treble, the high end remains hopelessly flat.

Let's say the pitch is -120 cents.  The usual amount to overpull would be +60
cents.  I simply cannot imagine doing a 2 pass tuning, not breaking any
strings and have the piano end up "dead on" as is the claim here.

On the other hand, I can do 4 passes, each with a mild amount of overpull and
each in about 20 minutes, getting the piano tuned in about an 1 1/2 hours and
having reasonably stable results.

Many of my concert tunings where the piano is tuned several times a year but
is seasonally off pitch require 3 passes for rock solid stability.  The
"machine" only goes so far in its ability to compensate.  The rest must be
done by repeated correction.

I only consider the piano to be in tune in such situations if you can pound
hard on each and every note and not have it budge even one cent.

A 100 cent pitch raise "dead on" in 2 passes?  If you say so.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin