YC Strike Weights etc

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 22:22:56 +0100

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT wrote:

> Just a question,
>
> If you relocate the capstan on the blacks only, you will have the contact
> point on the whippen heel changed, so what you gain one way you loose a tad
> the other. What happen to hammer and key travel now ?
>
> I just cant understand how you can expect to have an even touch with the
> capstan differently on white and blacks. The hammer acceleration will be
> different from key to key, is not it ?
>
> Regards.
>
> Isaac OLEG

The actuall problem is that the leverage is already
different on the white and black keys. Probably due to a
frig up in figureing placement of the Balance rail pins. So
I already have some of these problems. I am not convinced
that moving to a staggered capstan position is the right
thing to do. But it is an interesting idea to check out. It
doesnt hurt to look closer at the option thats for sure.
Certainly one objective should be to get as uniform a
whippen travel as is possible for the same amount of key
travel.

But you mention hammer acceleration... and in all this about
Stanwood I cant remember seeing anything about that ever
mentioned... and I would suppose its an important enough
issue. Anyone got any good words of wisdom on this tangent ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.