Perfect Pitch

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:25:57 EST

In a message dated 11/6/01 1:11:39 PM Central Standard Time,
gee19685@GlaxoWellcome.com (Evoniuk, Gary E) writes:

> I agree that much of the perfect pitch phenomenon is aural memory.  A few
> very fine instrumentalists and conductors have what I would call very *fine*
> pitch memory and can hear the difference between 442 and 440 without an
> external reference (thinking of Pierre Boulez, some of the principal oboes
> in US orchestras).  For every one of them, there are probably hundreds of
> BS-artists who claim they can hear the difference.  I don't claim to be in
> either camp, but this very second I can remember quite well what pitch my

The sound of a tuning fork is very unmusical.  It has no richness to it and
no vibrato.  When the oboist sounds the tuning pitch for the orchestra, the
player also refrains from using any vibrato and these days, most have an
electronic tuner that they place on the music stand to verify their pitch.

As someone who has studied voice seriously more than half my life, I can
hardly sing a note without using some kind of vibrato which, by definition
means an oscillation it frequency.

That Just Intonation article aside, to me, it means intervals that are
beatless.  While there are a few musical circumstances where perfectly pure
pitches and beatless intervals may occur, for the most part, those would not
even be appropriate.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin