Tuned front duplexes

Tue, 6 Nov 2001 21:08:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 06, 2001 11:56 PM
Subject: Tuned front duplexes

> One thing I don't believe I saw mentioned in the discussion of front
duplexes
> is the carrying power of the sound with the tuned front duplex.  The
noises
> that are caused by these are certainly annoying when you're seated at the
> piano.  However, I've heard more than one technician say that that noise
> contributes to the carrying power of the sound in a hall.  Having never
made
> any direct comparisons I can't confirm or deny this.  Do others have
comments
> about this?
>
> Phil
> ---

To the best of my knowledge it has never been tested in any way. I have
never believed this to be true though I've certainly heard it often enough.
I've always felt it was just a way to make the noises that couldn't be taken
away and kept away palatable to the performer and/or owner. Kind of like
telling the artist that his seat is the worst one in the house and the piano
really sounds best about ten or twelve rows back. If that is truly the case
we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

Del