Tuned front duplexes

Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:33:35 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 07, 2001 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Tuned front duplexes

> .... I also wonder, since I've
> heard the thing about projection with tuned front duplexes too, where are
> the reports of experiments involving listening, then taping off, then
> listening again? I know, tape kills the system, but a small oval bar could
> be slid in under the duplex from the end, then cranked up on edge to
> provide a reasonably solid de-tuned length for a one note difference test.
> Then again, while taping messes up sustain, what does it do to
> "projection"? Obviously not many conclusions can be drawn by comparing two
> distinctly different pianos, but where are the cause and effect
experiments
> within one system on the projection thing?

Good question. The only direct comparisons or experiments I've heard of have
involved taping--actually felting--off the tuned duplex string segment and
then concluding that the thing works because when it's felted the piano has
less sustain and 'projection.' Well, of course it does. That's what happens
when you put a damper on the string--even if its a damper that's only
applied to a part of the string that shouldn't be speaking on its own but is
designed to absorb energy from what should be the speaking portion of the
string.

So, to me, at least, the question is unanswered. What constitutes
'projection' anyway? Should we be building pianos for 'projection' at the
expense of musicality? Should the seat in front of the keys be the worst
seat in the house? If so, how can we expect the artist to create wonderful,
dynamic music when it all sounds like garbage at the piano? Or should we be
working on remote keyboards so the poor thing can be played from the tenth
row back?

Del