Oils (again)

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:14:07 +0100

Hello,

Sorry this is not an "anti-add" against Ballistol, even if it smells like.

I need an advice from a chemist or somebody who knows.

What happens to oils with time (if there is only one type of oil, or if it
can be considered as a class of product).

Do they transform in soap ?

I am wondering what is this gummy residue I find regularly on flanges around
and in the pin bushing, looking like wax or paraffin, or soap, on 25 - 50
years old pianos ? This is why I stopped using any oily product on any
piano.

Beside, Ballistol is considered of good use by Schimmel, and by Max Matthias
in his Steinway Manual book. Many techs use some here, and I find it
efficient in the days I used it.

And what is the advantage of having an acid free oil (as Ballistol) could it
be that it does not transfor with time, or slower ?

Thanks in advance.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG

PianoTech