Duplex

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:38:05 +0000

At 7:43 PM +1100 11/5/01, Overs Pianos wrote:

>... during the process I discovered that a small change in duplex
>tension occurs when the speaking length tension is raised or
>lowered. Now before you both reply, 'of course but the bridge is
>rocking over with the tension change', yes it is. But something
>extra is happening, the bridge pins are also yielding a little in
>response to the tension changes, and this will allow just a small
>amount of longitudinal energy from the speaking length to leak over
>onto the reap duplex segment.
>
>Phew! I hope that made sense.

Without realizing your hope, Ron, I'd like to consider a case that
allows less rein to the imagination.

Suppose we have a 3" speaking length terminated at the front by a
perfectly massive over-bar under which the string passes at an angle
of about 15° to continue for 1" up to a duplex bridge and then
onwards over the bearing felt to the wrestpin.

I pluck the 1" front length (which itself has no musical qualities)
and the 3" speaking length responds with a faint note at its own
frequency.

Now I say it is inconceivable that any transverse vibration should
continue past the bar and that the excitation of the speaking length
must be caused by compression waves passing _along_ the wire at an
indeterminate frequency.  At the point on the surface of the wire
where the wire is forced up round the bar there will be impedance to
these waves, but all the other molecules are as free as ever to pass
on the wave under the top bridge.

I'd like to know if you, and others, think this is logical.

If piano string tone were produced only by transverse movements
transmitted to the harmonic structure, then it would make little
difference what wire was used.  We all know that the internal
structure not only of steel wire but also of bass string covering
wire has a great effect on tone and it could probably be demonstrated
that two strings of different composition, carrying out precisely the
same transverse excursions would sound quite different owing to the
internal behaviour of the wire and the response of the molecules to
the lengthwise shock.

Duplex Dan keeps talking about this Steinway patent in German.  Let's
be having it, even in German, so we can see what Theodore says.

JD