C88 Hammer Position

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:32:56 -0500

Hi List. I am installing a new action in an old upright. I need to determine
the best position for hammer height on C88. On a grand, I have the luxury of
moving the action in and out to find best sound. How is this best done on an
upright? Is there a general optimal position? Wally Brooks says 1/8" down
from top termination. I realize he is quite knowledgable - and I will follow
his advice if I get no further input, but I wondered if there were any
differing opinions. The speaking length on C88 is 50.5 mm. Or should I put a
hammer on C88 a bit on the low side and just lift the action up and down
trying to find a best height (seems like things could get out of hand - so
to speak). Thanks

Terry Farrell