C88 Hammer Position

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:32:11 -0600

>Hi List. I am installing a new action in an old upright. I need to determine
>the best position for hammer height on C88. On a grand, I have the luxury of
>moving the action in and out to find best sound. How is this best done on an
>upright? Is there a general optimal position? Wally Brooks says 1/8" down
>from top termination. I realize he is quite knowledgable - and I will follow
>his advice if I get no further input, but I wondered if there were any
>differing opinions. The speaking length on C88 is 50.5 mm. Or should I put a
>hammer on C88 a bit on the low side and just lift the action up and down
>trying to find a best height (seems like things could get out of hand - so
>to speak). Thanks
>
>Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,
I don't know what should be done, but here's what I do. New butts in, check
hammer pitch angle by dry fitting a shank and hammer in the C8 butt,
trimming shank to slightly longer than needed. If you drill your own
hammers, you did something like this to determine what the pitch angle was
going to be in the first place. Glue shanks in all of the hammers,
duplicating the pitch angle throughout. Test fit C8, shaving a little at a
time from the bottom of the slightly too long shank until you get the right
length, judged by sound just like you do in a grand. Spot check a few more
in the treble to see if the strike line is straight and mark the samples
you have determined are right. Set the rest of the section end guide hammer
shank lengths where you want them by trim and fit trial. Trim the rest of
the shanks to slightly shorter than your sample shank lengths, install your
samples in the appropriate places to use as guides, and install the rest of
the set from the guides. You will probably have to taper one side or the
other of the shank to align hammers to the strings as you go. At least it's
easier for me than trying to bend, burn, and warp shanks all day after the
fact.

Is it the right way? I have no idea. Probably not, but it has worked well
enough for me that it hasn't changed much through the years.

Ron N