Astonia(?) grand

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 22:23:59 EST

In a message dated 11/8/01 11:03:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> But, Richard, if that is going to be the criteria then you would have to
> judge all pianos the same way. Just to be fair. For example, you would also
> have to judge Steinway pianos right out of the box. With no in-house
> tuning, no in-house regulation, no in-house voicing, nothing. Just as they
> come out of the crate. I've come across more than a few that wouldn't fare
> much better than the Estonia. The differences being, of course, the price
> and our expectations. Considering its price, I'd not expect a lot from the
> Estonia.
>
> Regards,
>
> Del

Dear Del,

I am not sure if you understood me. I like the Estonia. They are very well
prepped and have quite a bit of artistic possibilities "right out of the
box". Certainly they have more to offer than just about any S&S I have played
without work done to it.

But I didn't suggest that all pianos be judged in this way. My point was just
that the pianos show good workmanship, use fine materials, and are "finished"
well. Not what I would call "junk" at all.

I did not see the earliest Estonia pianos shipped to the USA. I understand
that they left much to be desired, as did the first Petrofs shipped here, and
the first Yamahas. But if other techs are thinking today's Estonia is still
this piano, please go see them.

Full Disclosure: I sell 'em, I like 'em.

'Nuf said.

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co & Factory
Philadelphia, Pa.