Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:53:57 -0600

>> Ron N replied:
>>>
>>> Not necessarily. A 2X12 plank across a 55 gallon drum will rock quite
>>> easily
>>> with a kid on each end. It doesn't have to be a knife edge to produce the
>>> effect.
>>

>> Agree entirely.
>

> Well the all the 55 gallon drums on the pianos I deal with are cemented to
> the frame and have the 2x12 plank firmly clamped to them by the upward
> pressure on the plank and I challenge any kid to use them as a see-saw.  The
> analogy doesn't hold water!

Sorry John, the only exact analogy in all detail I have is the direct
description I gave of the real thing with the excursion of the plucked segment
and the subsequent levering of the adjacent segment across the capo. The drum
and plank seesaw is merely a simplified example I offered of the rocking action
of the string over the capo because you didn't like the term "pivot", not as a
complete model of the system. The analogy in that respect is a good one, as is
the explanation of the mechanism of energy transmission across the capo.
Bearing pressure and resulting friction have very little to do with it, since
it's not a longitudinal movement effect and the wire doesn't have to slide on
the capo. It's a  transverse deflection and leverage effect.

So tell me. How does a transverse plucking movement and subsequent vibration
transmute into a longitudinal compression wave of indeterminate frequency
traveling along the plucked segment, past the apparently impassibly high
friction of the capo, and into the speaking length where it again transmutes
back into transverse vibrations at the speaking frequency of the segment? I'd
love to hear how this works.

Ron N