beats and just intonation

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:15:56 +0100

> I can't disagree that beats can add to the musicality of piano playing.
> Trying to imagine the sound of the impossible - a piano in which all
> intervals sound just - conjures up an aural image of a rather
> colorless and  uninteresting sound.
>
> Gary Evoniuk
> Durham, NC

Try to imagine the sound of a piano where all the medium is tuned by
aligning the third partial on an even progression, it is like having a 3
octave temperament solved by the twelfths.

Then add treble  focusing on second partial then fundamental, but
fundamental aligning with double and triple octave lower.
You end with a piano that nobody can honestly say it is out of tune, but the
justness is unreal, artificial in some way. And too much compromising on
large intervals (double octaves and more) made the smaller ones less natural
to the piano. If the tune can't tune these in shape the tuning will sound
very rigid.

Talking about just intervals, while learning to tune, and having so called
perfect ear, I tried often to have a pure fifths piano tuning , and yes,
while it gives much brilliance and is very 'present', it will not be
accepted nor by all pianos, nor by all music. the color is given by the
thirds and tenths, which are very very fast. That kills the warmness of any
piano.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG