Fw: Upright Hammer Weight

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:50:22 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> After a little additional thought while bathing and washing the dogs, I
> reasoned that upright hammer weights should be in line with grand hammer
> weights. Why not? Similar stringing scale & soundboard designs, similar blow
> distance, similar key dip, hammer must be accelerated to similar speeds. So
> should not the hammer mass be similar to that of a grand? If so, then should
> I not be able to successfully utilize the Stanwood hammer mass charts for
> guidance??? What do others do? Simply duplicate?
>
> Terry Farrell

Give it a try Terry. One of the big selling points of Stanwoods SW curves is
this whole buisness of voicing and how a nicely graduated and appropriate mass
curve comes into play. Tho the leverage concerns are arranged quite differently,
this much should work out with similiar results I would think.

I find that a SW curve right on the delineator between heavy and middle weights
is a nice safe spot to be. Tho I still am quite the novice me thinks...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.