Fw: Upright Hammer Weight

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:49:15 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> Oops. That's right Richard,  Stanwoods numbers are Strike Weight. I was simply
>
> weighing hammers. Now how am I going to measure Strike Weight on the
> upright? Or rather, I guess I can see how to set it up on the little stand
> and measure the Strike Weight, but the real question would be how does this
> compare with the grand numbers because now you have the weight of the hammer
> butt incorporated into the hammer strike weight number. This is all becoming
> clear as I write this. These upright SW measurement made with the butt
> attached should indeed be directly comparable with the grand SW measurement.
> Yes? No? I do believe this would be true. I'll go out into the shop and
> measure some SWs with the old setup and the new and see where they fall.
> I'll report back. Maybe I need to even look over Stanwood's stuff, but I do
> not recall his material describing how it relates to an upright.
>
> Terry Farrell

Well, lacking any wise words from the certified Stanwood boys here, I'd say that
measuring SW's for uprights would be pretty much the same procedure. Weigh the
key from the center pin similiar to the grand shank... but I am not sure it
would be necessary as the "weight" of the shank in uprights is going to be much
less a factor because of the fact that its roughly vertical... I would think
just weighing the hammers themselves would be enough, and I suspect that it
might not really be worth your time... maybe on a really nice upright... who
knows ? In anycase this has nothing to do with Stanwoods touchweight design for
grands... thats an entirely different puppy. His material doesnt deal with
uprights.

Still, if its a good upright, it might be neat to hear if the effort of putting
the hammers on a nice SW curve results in an easier voicing job, or how
differing curve zones affects the general sound of the piano.

I say... go for it if you got the time !! ;:)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.