String termination devices

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:14:08 +1100

Del, Phillip and list,

>  > Your device addresses
>>  these problems.  I do also worry that the separate 'bearing
>>  rod' held in place by string pressure (if I understand your
>>  sketch correctly) might buzz.

Del replied;

>I wasn't able to do enough experimental work and/or testing to determine
>this. I heard no hint of buzzing on the Stuart piano.

That's true Del, but I suspect he has had problems with earlier
pianos. The Stuart agraffes now have a small block of silicon rubber
located between the 'string hold down pin' and the string termination
bars, and I suspect its not there for looks. I remember checking the
very first piano he built and it had buzzing agraffes. I can well
understand how you may missed the rubber blocks Del, it so difficult
to take in every aspect of a design in fifteen minutes. I've had the
luxury of having a few sessions with these pianos. We're now
maintaining a recent piano at the Sydney University Great Hall.

It seems to me that the idea of controlling the buzzing with silicone
rubber would be a wonderful way to pull energy out of the vibrating
string to shorten sustain. I like the idea of the bridge agraffe, but
there certainly are some engineering obstacles to be overcome if they
are to be effective termination devices. I don't think the Stuart
design addresses the problems appropriately, but that's just my view.

The other negative aspect of bridge agraffes is the resultant loss of
bridge wood height. I've written before on the list about the
influence of bridge height on the sustaining qualities of an
instrument. The Stuart string height is 32 above the sound board
panel (long bridge ie.), while his agraffes hold the wire 8 mm above
the bridge wood. With only 24 mm of bridge wood height, I believe the
note to note sound board impedance will be less uniform. I have seen
just two concert grand pianos from different makers with 24 mm high
bridges. I didn't care for the tone of either, and I hold the bridge
height accountable for part of the crime. Look up the five lectures
on the acoustics of the piano.

http://hem.fyristorg.com/5_lectures/

It is some years since I read these documents, but they certainly
mention the negative effects of building sound boards with lower
ribs. I am convinced that the bridge height is just as important an
issue.

The idea you suggest Phil would certainly solve the potential buzzing
problem, but I share Del's view that it would make stringing a little
more difficult. I've been playing around with a few ideas in this
area too, but so far nothing's hit the 'go' button.

Ron O

--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au
Email:        mailto:ron@overspianos.com.au