1StringPitch Raise

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:58:49 -0500

Are you using a SAT or other ETD? If so, why not just use the pitch =
raising feature on the machine. They all work quite well. If you are =
doing a large pitch raise, don't use the pitch raising feature on  the =
machine on the first pitch raising pass, just target pitch. Obviously, =
use anything you find easy and that performs well. But otherwise, the =
pitch raising feature on the SAT or whatever device works great.

I know I did not answer your question directly, but that's my thought!  =
:-)

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Tonyan=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 2:19 AM
  Subject: 1StringPitch Raise

  (Dear list, I'm posting this again, hoping for a response.)=20
      I've been experimenting with an old pitch raising technique for =
instruments which are more than 30=A2 flat that works for me, but want =
to improve it and would like some feedback.
      I strip-mute the whole piano, over-pull the wound strings (3.5=A2 =
max.), then taper the over-pull from +5.5=A2 in the tenor to as much as =
+10=A2 at C6and up. When I encounter an area of the piano that is more =
than 30 cents flat (that is, where I would be over-pulling by 10 cents), =
I change over from tuning unisons to quickly and quietly tuning only the =
center string (+10=A2 max) without pulling the mute. Then go back to the =
unisons and continue with the pitch raise and the tapered over-pull.
      This quick pre-loading of the board before the actual "pitch =
raise" seems to get me to pitch faster (2 pitch raises max), and being =
one who has broken a plate in a client's piano by overstressing one area =
of the plate, it gives me a little more comfort when I'm doing a 100=A2 =
p.r. to have 1/3rd of the scale at pitch before pulling up the rest.=20
      I have also (unsuccessfully) experimented with this technique =
where the piano needed only a small p.r. (say, under 10=A2) and time was =
short. I don't know if this is just a bad idea, or if I'm not =
calculating the over-pull properly, but I'm far from the mark.=20
      How do I calculate the amount to over-pull that center string in =
the above scenarios, and what are the opinions of the second scenario?=20

  Thanks for the help.
  John Tonyan=20