Key Bushing Glue

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:14:55 +0000

Hi Terry,
           The cold hide glue wick's like heck and robs the cloth of it's
resilience. If the cloth is too stiff it wears faster.   This  has nothing
to do with strength factors, the hot hide glue sets up very quickly, and
before it can soak too far into the felt.
Trust me on this one, hot hide glue is the best method.

Roger

At 08:04 AM 11/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>When to use cold hide glue and hot hide glue? Obviously, if you are gluing
>on a bridge cap or soundboard or some other high-stress fixture, use hot
>hide glue - more strength, longevity, etc. But what about gluing a
>regulating punching to a dowel button? Key bushings? And about a billion
>other low-stress applications. Is not cold hide glue just fine for these
>applications? Cold hide glue is sooooooooo easy to use! My question is
>pertinent here because I just ordered the Spurlock key bushing system and
>will be doing my first set within the next week. Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.