Charging overtime

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:55:01 -0500

I do. I WISH I was scheduling for next March! WOW! I AM jealous (I'm only
booked two weeks out)! (If you are that booked up, are you charging enough
for a regular service appointment?) Even still though, I have what I refer
to as a "special service request" (at least that is what I call it for
myself) charge for a service call that requires a special trip, or is only
to be done at hours I don't wish to work, and/or is just plain short notice
"I am getting married tomorrow and my piano JUST went out of tune this
morning!"

I have been charging $20 extra when a service request cannot fit into my
regular schedule. I might do one of these per month. The last one I did
required a drive to the other side of town (40 minutes, one way) for a $75
tuning. I typically average about $50 per hour when in someone's home ($40
per hour if many things go wrong). I think I am short-changing myself with
my $20 fee. I'm thinking fees for the special request appointments should be
tuning fee plus travel time @ $40 or $50 per hour.

The greater travel-time-based extra fee would have made my last call a $135
call, rather than a $95 call - it took me a good three hours total for the
call, or about $32 per hour - the higher fee would have put me up to about
$45 per hour - which is more in the average day range. But are we not
talking about extra charges here because we don't normally tune a piano at 7
pm on Christmas Eve? So maybe it should be tuning fee plus hourly travel
charge plus $20 (or plus 50% of tuning fee). Maybe at that stage the piano
owner's piano will start sounding a lot better as is.

I think the travel-time-based extra charge is a good way to go because I
really don't mind slipping in an off-hours service call for someone two
blocks over (remember, I am only booked two weeks ahead), but it becomes
quite a hassle and less profitable when the customer is way across town.

Of course if you live two counties over, have an old M&H BB, want it tuned,
and go on to say that I had rebuilt her daughter's piano and that she wants
only me to completely rebuild her BB (give her a price while I am there
tuning) - I might just drive out there with a big smile on my face, tune her
piano and only charge her $75!

Terry Farrell