Front "Tuned" Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:18:41 -0600

>Just musing a bit over a morning cup of coffee.... but it struck me to ask
Dan,
>Del and the rest of you if the idea of nodes comes into play relative to
>duplexes
>and in particular the front duplex.  If one takes the length of a string from
>where it leaves the bridge, to the point of contact with the first
>counterbearing
>and look at where the capo contacts that total length, does that coincide
>with a
>string node for that length ?  And what, if anything does that result in ? Ok,
>granted we think of nodes as free and in vibration, yet we also observe the
>effect when a node is half damped... it just struck me that terminating a
>string
>on a such a node would yeild perhaps a different result then otherwise,,,
>especially if the termination point was such that it was precise enough ??

Interesting idea. Sounds vaguely reminiscent of the concept of the tuned
duplex being an integer partial of the speaking length. But this can't be
right. Have I misread this, or are you asking for an opinion? Surely not
without detailed and conclusive published specifically supportive
documentation since nothing as insubstantial as logic and established
physics is applicable. Here's another golden opportunity for you to
purchase necessary equipment, take some measurements, do some research, and
publish the conclusive results so we'll all have documentation on file as a
final authority to prove or disprove the concept. I'd be very interested in
reading about details in methods, equipment, procedures, results, and
conclusions of the "Brekne Effect" after the work is done.

Any estimates yet on a publication date?

Ron N