Mold in Pianos

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:41:09 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: w peterson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 10:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Mold in Pianos

  I have had a lot of experience with molds, and they can be deadly, =
especially if you are allergic to them.  Symptoms can include sinus =
problems, fuzz balls developing in your lungs and sinus cavities.  They =
have to cut out lobes of your lungs, and scrape your sinus cavities etc. =
  There are no gentle treatments for molds.  Prendisone is the preferred =
treatment,along with surgery.  Sometime it is necessary to do a surgery =
just to find the mold.  I am no doctor, but if it is a black mold it =
could be aspergilis or worse.  Treatment sometimes involves removing =
lobes of your lung. Asthma and bronchial problems are very commonly  due =
to molds.  You can do a search for molds and find out more.  I am not a =
doctor, but I have done extensive reading on them, as I have an attack =
of allergic aspergilis mold.  The problem is diagnosing .  Most Drs are =
not familiar with the symptoms and can miss them. Treatment with =
prendisone is the next thing to a death sentence.  The State has testing =
labs for mold contamination.  I would not touch the piano, and it would =
cost to much to have it tested and your are probably at great risk not =
to test it.  Bill Peterson former South Bay Chapter.
    Bill,=20
        You're scaring me! I agree this piano is probably not worth the =
trouble, but if mold were so deadly all our friends in the pacifac N.W. =
would be gone. As for prednisone, I've taken it  in the past and =
miraculously have survived.Hey that's just me,I could be wrong. Any way =
I'm going to McDonalds for lunch---deadly chemicals help keep me in top =
condition.  Tom Driscoll