action innovations

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:55:45 -0500

I enjoyed reading about the Fandrich and Overs actions in the October
Journal. Action design must be a fun and challenging field. I'm guessing
that the piano industry is somewhat resistant to these innovations since
it's an industry that values "tradition" so much. Maybe Ron Overs and
others can comment from personal experience.

I'm curious if people would like to see a day when it's common to choose
an action when buying a piano. The customer could say, "I'd like that
one in a mahogony finnish with the Overs action." Otherwise, if you're
an action designer, it would be a tough road trying to convince a
manufacturer to use your action exclusively. You're basically competing
against Renner for all higher-end brands who don't make their own actions.

Charles Neuman