C88 Hammer Position/SPR

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:08:02 +1100

Del and list,

>I'm wondering how you managed to pinpoint the actual mass and/or shape
>centerline of the hammer that precisely. I'm also wondering how you managed
>to control hammer and hammershank whip on impact enough to be sure that is
>really where the hammer is striking.

It can be done using a small metal rule, a trouble light (called a
'lead light' in Aus - one of the small difficulties we had in Reno
when we went to purchase one) and a mirror. Mind you, with the small
radius bars we use the apex of the bar is pretty easy to see - not so
easy when the radius is larger.

Regarding shank whip, we didn't measure the strike point dynamically.
However, if the position is ascertained for static measurements, it
will result in the correct position in subsequent instruments when
the static measurements are repeated.

Ron O

--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au