using beats to tune

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:50:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com> wrote:
> When was international standard pitch set at A=440?
> Wasn't that about 1917?

Does that mean I should be tuning my 1913 Ricca & Son
upright to something other than A=440?, like A=466,
A=452, A=493, A=523, A=391, A=435, A=427, A=415,
A=330, A=400, which one or did I not state the right
one?

> Clyde
>
> Tvak@AOL.COM wrote:
>
> > Did I misinterpret something that was posted
> recently in the discussion
> > regarding temperaments?  I was surprised to learn
> that ET did not really
> > exist prior to 1917.  Now, the part I'm unclear
> on: I believe that it was
> > stated that this treatise, published in 1917, was
> the first to utilize the
> > concept of listening to beats in order to tune a
> temperament.
> >
> > First of all, is the above information correct?
> And if it's true that tuners
> > didn't use beats to tune a piano prior to 1917,
> what did they listen to?  I
> > can't imagine.  (I must have misunderstood the
> information posted.)
> > Certainly, tuning unisons could not be done
> without eliminating beats.
> > Perhaps tuners didn't use coincidental partials to
> tune prior to 1917?

And am I also tuning the temperament wrong?  Should I
swap the beat rates between my fourths and my minor
6ths or should I tune my major 3rds pure or keep doing
it the way I'm doing it now?

(btw I just tuned it monday and already several
unisons are noticeably out of tune.)