key levelling -- crown?

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:06:51 -0800

Yes, Dick , it was Steinway that did that.  However it was done to make the
key level line follow the crown in the keybed, which was put in to ensure
full contact (spring loaded) of the action frame to the bed.

Had it been to compensate for felt compression, wouldn't it be appropriate
to have a schedule of releveling according to age or mileage?  Maybe 1/16
initially, then after 50000 songs we relevel to 1/32.  Then after another
50000 songs to1/64?  Now, if the key frame is refelted we must start the
schedule all over again.  Damm!!! nobody told me that they'd refelted this
keybed!!

I've been trying to kill this legend for several years now.  It's hard
because at first glance it seems so "impressive" so "logical" so
"sophisticated" and it was of course Steinway that did it.  Was it really
necessary to crown both the bed and the key frame or would it have been
sufficient to but more crown in the key frame?  Does Steinway have a patent
on that?  I doubt it.  Does any other company use that technique?  I don't
know of any.

If you haven't guessed yet, I think crowning the key bed is a dumb idea.  It
was a complicated, expensive, confusing and just silly solution to a non
existent problem.

Maybe they would rather we say bad things about them than to say good things
about some other brand.  Politicians always say "Say anything you want about
me, just don't misspell my name".

Regards

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California