Upright Hammer Weight/ Newton

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:33:13 -0500

Hi Joe,

If upright keys are weighted at all they are weighted in the back.  Here
anyway.  Look at some old uprights, Masons and S&Ss.

The dampers are always taken out during weigh off.  The jack spring is
too hard to control and in any event touch weight is measured from rest
to just before the beginning of let off, grands and uprights.

So, that leaves the hammer spring and I know for a fact that spring
tension does have a profound effect on touch weight.  If you doubt this
move two springs to one butt and check the feel of the key.  Then remove
a spring and feel the light touch.

So, I still stand by what I wrote.  I have thought about this issue for
a few years not being satisfied with most upright touch and feel.

Anyway, have a good weekend.

		Newton