Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:15:21 -0600

>Your note does include an interesting idea that has been used successfully by
>tuners who tune duplex scales. The idea of "massaging" the duplex scale.
>Basically what this is is stretching, as when putting new strings on a
>stringed instrument. This does bring the string down and provide a stretch
>and evenness to the string . But as to the application of this stretching to
>a tuning job, I can not recommend it if it is used in lieu of placement of
>the harmonic bridge.

No, this isn't stretching. It's an attempt to equalize string tensions in
segments on either side of a high friction point by forcing string past the
friction point in, hopefully, the right direction and, hopefully, by the
proper amount. If all the string segment tensions in any given string are
equal when you're done with the tuning, the short term stability of the
tuning will be better. Little effect will be had on the long term
stability, which is essentially climate related.

Ron N