Voicing & voices

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:46:10 EST

Mark writes:
inre Yamaha voicing policies:
<<  As I write this I hear a great, booming voice proclaiming
"The Market Has Spoken"!   But hey! That's only ONE of the voices I
periodically hear, some of them are frequently mistaken, and maybe this one
is too.>>

   One of Yamaha's greatest strengths is consistancy.  It also makes it
easier to see what the designers think.  The following items I consistantly
find:

        In Nashville recording studios,a new C7 Yamaha is generally not
bright enough. A  bright18 year old C7 that had been played very little was
perfect.

      In the dozen or so C3 and C2 pianos we bought at school, there were two
that were noticeably softer than the others, and it was those two that
ultimately have sounded the best after the first year of play.  All the
others are moving into "glass-like" brilliance.  It also appears that some of
these hammer sets were only voiced on the distal side of the hammers,(Maybe
the voicer just missed more from one side or the other).  I am going to be
doing a lot of needling on these hammers, some day.
    I am more often asked to voice a Yamaha down than up, by far. And
sometimes, the pianos just turn around.  As when the hammer is making round
soft timbre at ppp, and has a brassy, loud at FFF. Then Yamaha's sound really
starts to work.
    Is the maker just staying away from "ruining hammers" by not approaching
the limits of the needle?  If this is a saftety margin, I would urge them to
get closer to the limits,  I would urge them to soften up everything a lot
more!!
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT