Appointment procedure

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 22:37:24 -0500

OK, Terry, here goes, but the way I go about things is going to look
like too much time-consuming work to a lot of folks.  And what works for
me may not work for others.

It begins with the first contact, when the client calls for a first-time
appointment.  We make the appointment.  Several days before I arrive to
tune the piano, the new client gets a mailing from me which includes
three things -- a letter titled "Information for First-Time Clients," a
one-page article titled "How Often Should Your Piano Be Tuned?" and my
latest newsletter.  (Yeah, I do a lot of my own writing.)

One paragraph in the information letter says:  "Before I leave we can
arrange for piano service on a regular basis.  This is done by deciding
how often you want the piano tuned.  I will keep the information on file
and notify you when it is time for tuning.  Clients are very pleased
with this arrangement as it eliminates recordkeeping on their part and
the piano is always kept in good tune."  (Is this what is called
positive reinforcement?)

The next contact is when I finish tuning the piano.  I ask the client if
they would like the piano serviced on a regular basis (they nearly
always say yes).  We decide on when that is, usually annually.

As an example let's assume I tuned the piano in November.  When I am
doing the November schedule a year later, I call the client (usually the
wife/mother), and the conversation may go like this:
Client:  Hello.
Clyde:  Good evening.  This is Clyde Hollinger Piano Service.  Could I
speak with Mary Smith, please?
Client:  This is she.
Clyde:  Oh, good evening!  I'm calling about scheduling your annual
piano tuning, which is now due.  (I get all kinds of responses, which
vary from stony silence to "Already?!" "OK," or "We were just talking a
few days ago that it must be about a year since the piano was tuned!")
Would it suit you if I planned to come (date, time) to take care of that
for you?"
Client:  Just a minute, I have to check the calendar.  (I wait.  I
usually get this response even from the "stony silence" people.)  Now,
when did you say that was?"
Clyde:  (repeat date and time, make alternate suggestions if necessary)
OK, then, you can count on me Monday, November 26, arriving between 9:45
and 10:45 a.m.
(Complete the conversation.)

Before I go on I would like to make several comments on the above
conversation.  Since I don't like railroading people, I still like to
give them a chance to say "no" even if it is veiled.  I do this by
asking, "Would it suit you...?"  Almost invariably the conversation will
go directly into making suitable arrangements, and the client is not
forced into having to decide again what they already decided a year
ago.  Also, I use the kind of positive phrases I would like to hear from
a tradesman, including "...to take care of that for you..." and "...you
can count on me...."  And I make sure they can.

I got more negative responses when I did it this way:
Clyde:  It is now a year since I tuned your piano.  Would you like to
make an appointment to have the piano tuned again?
Client:  Ah, well, just a minute, I'll ask my husband.  (mumble, mumble,
both the client and I find this a little unsettling, and I was much more
likely to get the response)  I guess not this year.
Clyde:  OK, would you like me to check with you next year?
Client:  Yes, that would be fine.

What do I do if I get an answering machine?  I leave this message:
"This is Clyde Hollinger calling about scheduling your piano tuning,
which is now due.  I'll try again, or you can return my call at
***-****."

I'll keep trying on the following days until I get them, but if I get
tired of trying I leave another message.  After giving my name and phone
number, "I've been trying to reach you to schedule your piano tuning,
which is now due, but I seem to be calling at the wrong times.  Could
you please call me so I can take care of this for you?  The best time to
call is late afternoon or early evening, but if you get my answering
machine please let me know when is a good time for me to return your
call.  Thank you."

Remember I mentioned the new client got a three-piece mailing?  Repeat
clients get only an "appointment reminder" postcard, which they receive
several days before the appointment.

Some people buy a telemarketing screening service from the local
telephone company.  The first couple times I heard this I became very
irritated.  I dial the client's number and get a message like this:  "If
your call is of a telemarketing nature, then please be advised that
these calls will not be accepted.  Please hang up now.  Otherwise, to
complete the call press 1 and the pound key."

So!  Am I a telemarketer or not?  Do they want me to complete the call?
I didn't know!  So I began completing the call anyway, and as far as I
know no one has ever gotten upset with me for doing so.  As soon as I
hear that irritating message I immediately press 1 followed by the pound
key, and the call goes through.  My level of ire has reduced greatly,
because I nearly always receive a friendly greeting.

I hope that helps.  Never forget that it is easier to keep a client than
to find a new one.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA