key leveling -- crown?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:45:44 -0500

At 10:29 AM 11/18/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Sure sounds like something is moving.  If you find out just what, I'd like
>to know.
>
>I always clamp the key frame to make sure it is in contact with the bench.
>Sometimes even in the middle of the front rail.  I haven't actually leveled
>that many keys.  It's more fun to make tools than to use them.  I'm only
>half joking when I say maybe you should use go bars all over the frame.
>
>The problem, as someone suggested, in leveling in the piano, is that there
>is no room to install the weights on the backchecks, the stack isn't on
>(that may affect the height) and you have to sit so low that it is
>uncomfortable.
>
>I'm assuming you use the weights hanging off the backchecks.  They are
>probably heavier than the stack.  All these small variables add up, but I
>still feel doing at least the major leveling on the bench is more
>productive.  Especially when you are refelting the whole keybed.
>
>Let me know if you come up with any ideas as to why that is happening.
>
>Thanks;
>
>Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
>Santa Clara, California
>cmpiano@home.com

I would like to mention something about the attachment of the clip-on lead
weights.
They should not be 'hung'_off_the back of the backcheck. This has a
tendency to lift
the front of the key higher than the weight of the action would, giving it
a false height.

They should be 'hung'_on_the front side of the backcheck. The action will
fit better
into the action cavity.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician