Charging overtime

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:13:54 -0500

Wim,

Your response causes me to explain a small detail I left out of my
recently posted "conversations."  Please notice that I give my name
*first,* before asking to speak with the person who makes the piano
service decisions.  That is deliberate.  Otherwise, before they even
know who's calling, they assume I am a telemarketer trying to sell them
something they don't want, and they come to the phone with a negative
mindset.  The responses I get are much more positive if they know first
thing who's calling.

Wim, I do have a question that logistically may make a considerable
difference.  When you did your experiment as outlined below, who was
there to answer the phone when customers called to schedule?  Do you
give them your cell phone number, or did they call a secretary or office
manager?

In my case, I am the entire company.  My wife and kids are involved only
in saying that I am not home but will return the call.  It seems to me
that my clients would get disgusted with me, because even if they called
to schedule I wouldn't be available very often.  So I don't see how your
method would work in my situation.  Or am I missing something?

I agree that 3-4 hours per week setting up appointments is a lot.  I'm
not sure where that figure came from.  I don't spend that much time,
maybe two.  And it doesn't matter which method one uses, you will never
get appointment-making time down to zero, even if you make the next
appointment before you leave the client's home.

One more thing.  There was a time when I also called people who hadn't
had a tuning for quite some time.  I agree with you, that was a total
waste of time, and I'll never do that again.  I never contact clients
after two years; their records go into the "inactive" file.

Regards,
Clyde