key leveling -- crown?

Dale Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:07:55 -0600

From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 1:07 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: key leveling -- crown?

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Page <mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 10:45 AM

At 10:29 AM 11/18/2001 -0800, you wrote:

Sure sounds like something is moving.  If you find out just what, I'd
like
to know.

I always clamp the key frame to make sure it is in contact with the
bench.
Sometimes even in the middle of the front rail.  I haven't actually
leveled
that many keys.  It's more fun to make tools than to use them.  I'm only
half joking when I say maybe you should use go bars all over the frame.

The problem, as someone suggested, in leveling in the piano, is that
there
is no room to install the weights on the backchecks, the stack isn't on
(that may affect the height) and you have to sit so low that it is
uncomfortable.

I'm assuming you use the weights hanging off the backchecks.  They are
probably heavier than the stack.  All these small variables add up, but
still feel doing at least the major leveling on the bench is more
productive.  Especially when you are refelting the whole keybed.

Let me know if you come up with any ideas as to why that is happening.

Thanks;

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com

I would like to mention something about the attachment of the clip-on
lead weights.
They should not be 'hung'_off_the back of the backcheck. This has a
tendency to lift
the front of the key higher than the weight of the action would, giving
it a false height.

They should be 'hung'_on_the front side of the backcheck. The action
will fit better
into the action cavity.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician