Helmholtz and Steinway

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:29:17 +0000

At 9:51 PM +0100 11/18/01, Richard Brekne wrote:

>Taken from the Conklin article you refer to below is the following
>quote, which he basically says two or three times over in the case
>on non wound strings. It seems to me that Conklins statement is in
>conflict with your own about the termination points having no effect
>on the horizontal mode JD. Otherwise how can Conklins statement that
>it is the length of the speaking length that determines the
>frequency of the longitudinals ?

Well I'm as keen to get at the facts as you and others are, Richard.
It is not going to be easy without some experimentation and it will
take a while to set that up.  If anyone else, such as Stephen, has
more experimental data on this topic, I'd lovree to know about it.

>I also seem to remember that Rons reading of the other Conklin
>article is also correct, having read that myself a couple times a
>year ago. I have it at the University and will check this again. But
>I dont think I remember it ever being stated that Longitudinal modes
>are uneffected by the terminations. But we will see.

Well Stephen has suggested a simple way of showing this and it seems
to me pretty obvious that compression waves travelling the length of
the wire will not be stopped by impediments to transverse movement.
Imagine a thick steel rod six feet long passing through a one foot
cube of concrete in the middle of its length which prevents any
sideways movement.  You put your ear to one end and I'll tap the
other with a small hammer.  You are suggesting that you will hear
nothing that is due to waves travelling along the rod.  I think that
unlikely.

I feel that more experimental data is needed.  Conklin is concerned
primarily with the audible longitudinal waves in covered strings and
his demonstrations are borne out to a degree by my own experience as
a bass string maker.  To that extent I find his thesis interesting,
particularly in view of the actual proofs he uses.  On the other hand
he fails to mention other aspects of string design which, in my
experience, have a greater effect on tonal quality in covered
strings.  All Conklin's demonstrations are done with low bass notes.

We then make the jump to Theodore Steinway's longitudinal waves,
which are right at the other end of the scale, from A4 (440c/s)
upwards and not dealt with at all by Conklin.  According to Conklin
the frequency of these waves would be roughly 7000 c/s rising to over
60,000 at C (4186 c/s).

You wrote, quoting from Conklin:

>  "The longitudinal frequency of a plain steel string in a piano can
>be changed only by altering its speaking length..."

Since he produces no demonstrations relating to plain wire strings,
it is quite possible that he would need to prove that this would make
a difference if it did not alter the TOTAL length of the wire.  Nor
are we told how these longitudinal waves are initiated, how they are
affected by the relative tension of the wire etc.  He leaves more
questions unanswered than he solves, though what he does show is
interesting.

JD