Unsolicited compliment and a thought on temperament.

Iñaki Coello coello@pianored.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:58:07 -0800

It is nice for a tuner feel that people recognize your work. People really never note when their piano is out of tune in my deaf country.

 In Spain this is very common, specially in my area, where exists a lot of "tuners" but really no more than shop (bazar) owners, who says:

-  "look: your piano is new: it will not needs tuning until, at less 5 years. and Don´t worry: as You bought me your piano, I will tune it for free:  Of course: a tuning will take no more time than 10 minutes. Your neighbour tuner needs one hour and half!? Really?, well, are you sure he knows what he is doing?, ten minutes are enough for a tuning: he just want to charge more, for that he pass all that time at your neighbour´s home: the tunings are FREE"

or shop arguments like this:

-  "I sell you my first quality Krause german piano, but nobody more than me in this country are trained by this factory: Just me can tune your piano: I will go every year to your home, and I will charge you directkly to your bank account by this manteinance contract, and I make you the bank charge before tuning, of course, atthe beginning of the year. Of course I can tune in 15-20 minutes: Krause trained me for that. Remember: No more than me can service your piano (or that tuner can say you this Krause piano is really a Second Hand Russian Cherny/Lirika/Tchaika with a shop made tag for change the brand, and I will lose your confidance: Really Krause brand doesn´t exist: E. Krause brand were out of bussiness in 1931?)

I have to deal with this kind of thoughts here, because the shop owners doesn´t want nobody more working at their town in opiano bussiness, even when they does not sell pianos and just service them. I have toi look for my work in a radius of 150 Km. or even more for obtain a tunimng appointment, working in, at less ,7 towns near mine.

Of course, when you finnally obtain a tuning, when the costumer feel (by casuality or publicity) that the shop owner can be wrong and a profesional tuning and piano manteinance needs more than 10 minutes, and you work, they use to recognize your work, specially when better is the piano and better the pianist´s level: they feel the piano like another: another sound and of course another touch when you simply adjust the never done waist touch adjustment.

I will continue fighting...

Iñaki Coello Gómez
Valladolid. Spain

Pianos en la Red?  ->  http://www.pianored.com