Compression waves

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:33:20 +0100

Hello John,

I am taking as given that the compression wave is significant in the
> tone building of a piano string, though I am not at all convinced of
> this and Conklin's paper does not provide adequate data to enable me
> to verify his findings.  What the relative strength is of the sounds
> induced by the compression wave is the key point, since if they are
> so weak as to be virtually inaudible, then the whole book goes out of
> the window.
>
> Hello,
I am far from being an expert in these things, but the "Five lectures on the
acoustic of the piano" book comes with a cd with sound examples, these are
not yet availed on the Web but will probably be someday.

There I could hear :

Sound Examples of "Yankee doodle" played on strings tuned to the same pitch.
Comparison of scales of 2 different pianos, one with deliberately tuned
longitudinal modes (may be Baldwin ?), the second without .

The effect in the piano sound is audible clearly.

Someone had broken the original CD so I can't send you the sound examples,
sorry.

Isaac OLEG