maddening dampers

BRPIANO007@AOL.COM BRPIANO007@AOL.COM
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:31:25 EST

I had this happen to me "once".  Its happened quite a few times. Always seems
to be the first  damper of the bass tenor break. The smallest damper on the
longest string. I have been known to wrap a small piece of solder around the
damper wire for the extra weight, but caught flak from the list.

On the latest grand, new K&C I tried something different. I put new damper
material on the trichord, but still had bleed through. I've tried needling
but this time I pulled out the iron, heated it up and used the tip to iron
the sides of the damper. I also ran it between the felt of the trichord. It
worked like a charm. The only thing i can figure is the damper was too soft
and the ironing (heat) compacted the felt and it worked more of the wedging
action of the damper to get inbetween the strings. Plus the felt was harder
and stronger. I always thought the felt had to be soft, but have learned it
can be too soft.

Hope this helps.
Shawn Theriot
Baton Rouge Piano