a Bechstein from DC

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:03:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 21, 2001 5:37 AM
Subject: Re: a Bechstein from DC

> Hmmmm, are we showing an element of prejudice? Why would a better quality
> piano necessarily have blued pins? Is this not a simple matter of
> preference? Isn't this kinda like: "Did you see the dress Martha wore to
the
> party? I can't believe anyone would wear such a thing - she must have got
it
> at K-Mart!"

We use blued pins on everything unless the customer specifically insists
(and I do mean 'insists') on plated pins.

> Getting beyond such pettiness, (mine for pointing it out, and the other
for
> the initial statement) is there any significant difference in corrosion
> resistance between nickel plated and blued tuning pins?

I've not found plated pins to be any more resistant to corrosion than the
blued pins that we use. Also, I don't like the fact that on too many plated
pins there is still a bunch of plating left on the threaded portion of the
pin. I don't like the fact that too much plating flakes off over time--and
sometimes not all that much time. I don't like how the tuning hammer feels
on plated pins. And, last but not least, I don't like the look of plated
pins. To me, they simply look tacky. Kind of like a 5mm thick plastic finish
over which some plastic 'carving' has been tacked on with superglue a new
$8,000 grand.

Del